My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
Kathy T Hettinga‘s book,” 4 3 2 CRY,” has been accepted into the Altered Book – Digital Interventions collection. “4 3 2 CRY” is Hettinga’s parallel lamentation about personal and environmental loss at her former home in Colorado.
The online exhibition by the ACM SIGGRAPH Digital Arts Community, Altered Books – Digital Interventions, celebrates the book as an object that can carry experience, represent language, tell a narrative, convey culture or archive memory in the context of contemporary arts. See the complete exhibition at Altered-Books.SIGGRAPH.org.
INTO THE CITY – PITTSBURGH!
Applications are now being accepted for the latest Into the City destination – Pittsburgh! This career immersion program will take place October 4-6 and promises students a high-impact, hands-on and educational experience. They will receive firsthand exposure to living, working and connecting in the greater Pittsburgh area by meeting Messiah alumni and parents through company site visits, panel presentations and a networking reception.
Spots are limited and fill up quickly, so please encourage your students from all majors and academic years to apply for this educational opportunity.
**APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY FRIDAY, SEPT. 18. Applications and additional information are available on the Into the City website.
An info session will be offered Wednesday, Sept. 9 from noon-1 p.m. in the Eisenhower Board Room. Students must RSVP to attend through this link. Educators are also welcome!
ITC is sponsored by the Career and Professional Development Center, Office of Alumni and Parent Relations and the Development Office.
On Thursday, Sept. 10, Passport Services will be on campus to process passport applications for all first-year students (as well as others in the Messiah community). Applicants need to bring their photos, documents, completed application and fees to the Eisenhower Commons between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Applicants should plan to bring the following:
- Proof of citizenship: A certified birth certificate (Not the hospital notification or birth registration certificate. Look for a raised state seal.) Pennsylvania certificates of birth can be obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Harrisburg. The Prothonotary Office can assist out-of-state students in obtaining a certificate of birth.
- Proof of identity: A driver’s license, a previous passport, military ID (The Prothonotary Office reluctantly accepts student identification cards; the post office will not). If you are out of state, a secondary ID is required. (Acceptable secondary ID documents are: school/college ID, work ID, health insurance card, social security card.)
- A copy of your driver’s license: the copy should be made of both the front and back view of your driver’s license.
- A copy of a secondary ID: Non-PA Residents are required to bring a copy of a secondary ID; the copy should be made of both the front and back view of your secondary ID; you can use your college ID.
- Fees: For students 16 years of age or older the total fee is $135 (A $110 check or money order should be made out to U.S. Department of State. Additionally, you will need $25 in cash or check made out to the Prothonotary’s Office). If you need to have you photos taken, bring $10 cash or check made out to Messiah College.
- Application: Can be downloaded from the Department of State Passport Services web site at: www.messiah.edu/passport DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION UNTIL YOU ARE REQUESTED TO DO SO.
A photographer will be available to take passport photos; the cost of photos is $10.
Also, students will be able to explore the array of global opportunities available to Messiah students. Representatives from AROMA, Agapé Center, Intercultural Office, Off-Campus Programs, Career and Professional Development Center, and the Collaboratory will have information available in the commons. To start their search, students can check out the following links:
Intercultural Office: Off-Campus Programs
Agapé Center for Service and Learning
Career and Professional Development Center
Collaboratory for Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research
Stop by the Intercultural Office or contact us at email@example.com if you have questions.
JADU TRAINING OFFERED FOR FALL SEMESTER
If you are interested in Jadu CMS website editing training, sessions are now posted on MCSquare under Employee Training > Web or at messiah.edu/training. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (Ramona Fritschi) with any questions you may have regarding web training.
CURATOR CLUB ENROLLMENT
Registration is open for Curator Club (grades 3-5) and CC2 (grades 6-8). These programs provide science education on a variety of topics in a fun learning environment. Topics include dirt, mountain animals, bones, creepy crawlies, primates and the laws of science. A flyer is attached. Please visit our website messiah.edu/oakes, email us at email@example.com or contact us office at ext. 2659 with any questions.
You are invited to the Career and Professional Development Center’s Open House on Tuesday, Sept. 8 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Stop by to meet our staff, learn about our services, enter prize drawings and eat some donuts! The Career and Professional Development Center is located in the Eisenhower Commons, directly across from the Falcon Express.
REQUEST TO SUPPORT CONFERENCE AND EVENT SERVICES
Conference and Event Services office along with Campus Events works hard to meet all the requests of the campus community. Over the past several years there has been an increase in requests for events during dates and times that either conflict with other institutional events, or because of the size or needs of the event, they cannot be supported. In an effort to provide the best level of service possible, events and services (requiring the assistance of conference and events services) will be limited on the dates listed below and under the following circumstances.
These dates/events include:
- Community Day – only events that do not require set up or tech support will be approved until the completion of Community Day activities.
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of Fall Welcome Week (FWW) – All activities related to COE day and FWW are supported. Any other requests cannot be supported if they need set up or tech support.
- Friday and Saturday of Messiah College Christmas (except for wrestling tournament). Any other requests cannot be supported if they need set up or tech support.
- Service Day – no activities permitted to be scheduled between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., evening activities only if no set up and tech support is required.
- Reading Day and Employee Recognition service – No activities permitted between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. except employee recognition service.
- Friday and Saturday of Commencement – Activities need to be related to Board of Trustee meetings, Nursing Pinning, Baccalaureate and Commencement only.
Thank you for your understanding as we continue to manage staffing and resources. As always, it is best to plan early for all your events on campus.
MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND MOVIE ON THE GREEN
Human Resources is once again partnering with the Agapé Center and Student Involvement and Leadership Programs to host an outdoor movie event. Pixar’s “Inside Out” will be showing on a 40-foot-tall screen on Friday, Sept. 18 on the Eisenhower Lawn at 7:30 p.m. Coinciding with Family Weekend, this event is open to all employees and their families as well as students and their families. Bring blankets and chairs (rain location is Brubaker).
All proceeds go to the Central PA Foodbank. Suggested donation is $2/student or $10/family. Concessions will be available beginning at 6:30 p.m.
See link for further details. Please contact Kathy Castonguay, human resources, with questions.
Messiah College will be offering the silent auction sale of a 2003 Mercury Sable Fleet Vehicle. The car has just over 100,688 miles on it. It was purchased new by the college and all of the maintenance records for service work that has been done to it over the years would be available at the time of purchase. The vehicle will be sold “as is” and “without warranty”. The car can be seen at the Lenhert Building starting on Sept. 4, 2015. The car is available for Messiah Employee bidding only. Any person who tests drives the car must be on the Messiah College Approved Drivers List. If interested, silent sealed written bids with the name and phone number of the bidder can be given to Facility Services at the Lenhert Building starting on Sept. 5, 2015. The sealed bids will be opened on Sept. 11, 2015. The car will be sold to the highest bidder. Bidding starts at $3,000.00. The car is inspected through June 2016. All taxes, registration transfer fees and notary fees will be the cost of the purchaser. Any questions can be directed to Brad Markley at extension 3500.
York natural gas 92% efficient single stage up flow furnace. Model GY9S060B12UP11. 60,000 MBH input – 55,000 MBH output. 1200 CFM 115/1/60 voltage. 2″ flue size. 40″ high X 17.5″ wide X 28.5″ deep. New gas valve, control board, flame sensor and pressure switch. Good for a garage or a home up to 1500 square feet. 9 years old, works well. $200.00 Contact Brad Markley at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call extension 3500.
Black & Decker 1.7 cu. ft. space saver refrigerator. Good working condition. $40.00 call 717-979-6925 or email@example.com
Charming Colonial Williamsburg inspired townhome located in Fairfax Village, Harrisburg (Central Dauphin School District) available for rent. This townhome is located in a beautiful wooded setting approximately 15 miles from Messiah College. It provides 3 floor living. First floor has living room, powder room, and laundry/storage area which could also be used as an office. Second floor has kitchen, dining room, and powder room. Third floor has 2 bedrooms with a full jack and jill bathroom. Appliances included are dishwasher, garbage disposal, refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer. The home is total electric including central air. Rent includes trash, sewer, lawn service, snow removal, homeowners’ fee and two reserved parking spots. Tenant is responsible for electric, water (United Water), cable, phone and internet service. Rent is $1,050.00/month. One month rent and $1,050.00 security deposit are required at lease signing. Available Oct. 1, 2015. Contact Su Deitch, firstname.lastname@example.org or x7085.
Free office supplies available. Various colors of 8 x 11 hanging folders and tabs, pens, pencils, office in/out trays, paper clips, binder clips, heavy duty staples and much more! Come to Hoffman Lobby to take a look!